SplashData reports that hackers have discovered the most common internet password is now '123456' which swapped with' password'. That's right, the number 1 and number 2 most common internet passwords just switched places for 2013.
|Most Common Internet Passwords of 2013|
Experts say we should use a strong password for our most sensitive websites and I would agree. I would also agree with virtually all of my friends (those over 55) that I need a password I can remember.
- Decide on your favorite word. It can be a name, place or thing and try to make it 5 or 6 letters or more.
- Choose your favorite number over 1,000.
- An finally choose your favorite special character. NOTE: some special characters are not allowed by some sites.
- Now put these 3, easy to remember, items together to make up your "strong" password. Capitalize one of the letters (not the first one) to add one additional piece of strength.
- My favorite number will be '1975', the year I got my first computer.
- My favorite special character will be the '-' (hyphen).
- I'll put them together in this order. '-1975ottO'.
It is advisable to have different passwords for different types of accounts. To handle this you might want to use a different special character for different types of accounts.